Re: Supporting Windows SChannel as OpenSSL replacement

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supporting Windows SChannel as OpenSSL replacement
Date: 2014-06-09 13:19:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thoughts? While we're at it, we'll probably want to refactor things so
> that it's easy to support other SSL implementations too, like gnutls.

There was a patch set for this from Martijn van Oosterhout which was
quite complete.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20060504134807.GK4752@svana.org

I am interested in dropping the dependency on OpenSSL, if only to fix
the situation with Debian, libreadline and OpenSSL[1].

Notes

1. They now compile against libedit and change to using libreadline at
runtime. This does not work perfectly though since libreadline supports
some features which libedit does not which can only be checked for at
compile time.

Andreas