Re: Re: pgsql: Convert contrib/seg's bool-returning SQL functions to V1 call co

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: pgsql: Convert contrib/seg's bool-returning SQL functions to V1 call co
Date: 2016-04-27 02:59:44
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> I don't understand why we don't just drop V0. It makes debugging harder,
> exploitation easier (call arbitrary functions), and really has no
> features making it desirable.

What's the argument that it makes debugging harder? Especially if
you aren't using it?

I don't particularly buy the "easier exploitation" argument, either.
You can't create a C function without superuser, and if you've got
superuser there are plenty of ways to run arbitrary code.

I'd agree that there are no desirable features that would motivate
writing new code in V0. But that's not the reason for keeping it;
the reason for keeping it is to avoid unnecessarily breaking
existing extension code.