Re: Is there anyway to get list of table name, before raw parser is analyze?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mohammad Heykal Abdillah <heykal(dot)abdillah(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there anyway to get list of table name, before raw parser is analyze?
Date: 2010-05-30 14:19:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mohammad Heykal Abdillah <heykal(dot)abdillah(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Yes that i know, expanding '*' is done in analyzer part. I am try to do
> is, move the expanding process to "before" raw_parser that produce by
> gram.y is processed by analyzer. Like this :

> sql query -> gram.y -> raw_parse_tree -> (expand the '*') -> analyze

This seems fundamentally misguided. Using semantic knowledge from the
system catalogs to interpret the raw parse tree is exactly what the
analyze step is for. You can't move part of that operation to a
separate pass without complicating matters a lot, and probably breaking
some subtle considerations such as when to first obtain locks.

Why don't you just modify parse analysis to do whatever it is you had
in mind to do differently?