Re: How to recover Data

From: <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: <p_appu(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsq-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to recover Data
Date: 2002-11-26 15:59:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

Sridhar

such questions shud be posted to pgsql-admin list.

generally in case of power failure pgsql is unable to remove its
pid file., if u are using RPM based installation the file shud be in
/var/lib/pgsql/ in the name of postmaster.pid

If such a file exists postmaster will refuse to start. in such case
first remove that file. then start postmaster using

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

or better

# su - postgres
$ pg_ctl -l logfile -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

observe the recovery messages in logfile using
$tail -f logfile

in general such recoveries mostly succeeds and in no case
shud be inturrupted to avoid further (grave) complications.

Good Luck with your data,

regds
mallah.

PS: its not easy to loose data with pgsql ;-)

> I had a m/c with Postgres 7.2 and huge amount of data. on Power
> failure and restart of the m/c pgsql refused connect to any of the database. Being an invoice i
> took a tar of the data dir.
> I tried reinstalling PGSQL and copied the data dir to the same dir where the new data is being
> stored. ie
> cp /backup/pgsql/data /var/lib/pgsql/data

Only data directory is not sufficeint u need the pg_xlog directory as
well.

In any case such backups in prociple are not ok unless postmaster
is shut down during the cp.