Re: SSI slows down over time

From: Ryan Johnson <ryan(dot)johnson(at)cs(dot)utoronto(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSI slows down over time
Date: 2014-04-15 01:57:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 14/04/2014 4:30 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> FYI, here's a plot of performance over time. Each point in the graph
> is throughput (in tps) over a 10-second measurement (~20 minutes
> total), against a 12 WH TPC-C dataset with 24 clients banging on it. I
> issued a pg_ctl stop/start pair between each run:

Updated result: SI definitely does not suffer any performance loss over
time, but it's not clear what is wrong with SSI: deleting pg_serial/*
had exactly zero impact on performance.

The two near-zero results for SSI are both cases where pg_serial/
ballooned to 8GB during the run (I saw two others tonight during
testing). The one big dip for SI was a hang (the second such hang tonight).