Re: possible vacuum improvement?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible vacuum improvement?
Date: 2002-09-03 13:49:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com> writes:
> I know everyone is busy with the 7.3beta, but maybe this is something
> to think of before releasing the beta.

We are already in feature freeze.

In terms of what might happen for 7.4 or beyond, what I'd personally
like to see is some "auto vacuum" facility that would launch background
vacuums automatically every so often. This could (eventually) be made
self-tuning so that it would vacuum heavily-updated tables more often
than seldom-updated ones --- while not forgetting the
every-billion-transactions rule...