Re: using arrays within structure in ECPG

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: using arrays within structure in ECPG
Date: 2014-04-01 16:50:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Ashutosh,

> I tried to fix the offset problem. PFA the patch. It does solve the
> problem of setting wrong offset in ECPGdo() call.

Thanks, looks correct to me.

> But then there is problem of interpreting the result from server as an
> array within array of structure. The problem is there is in
> ecpg_get_data(). This function can not understand that the "field" is an
> array of integers (or for that matter array of anything) and store all
> the values in contiguous memory at the given address.

I guess I know where that comes from, without actually looking at the
code, though. Nested arrays are not supported by ecpg and the
precompiler spits out an error message, just check preproc/type.c.
However, in your example you have the struct essantially sandwiched
between the arrays and the (too) simple check in that file doesn't
notice, but because the implementation is nevertheless lacking.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a missing feature bug.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at gmail dot com