Re: Initdb Hangs

From: "Blossom, Eric" <Eric_Blossom(at)affymetrix(dot)com>
To: "'Report bugs to'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Initdb Hangs
Date: 2002-02-12 00:09:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

The version of Postgresql is 7.1.3-2

-----Original Message-----
From: Blossom, Eric
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 4:01 PM
To: 'Report bugs to'
Subject: Initdb Hangs

I can't seem to get Postgres initialized. When I run initdb it seems to
hang. If I run it in the background and then try to run postmaster,
postmaster complains that it cannot find template1. Looking in the
directories, I see no files. Below is the result of running initdb with the
debug option on. This is the version that came with Cygwin last week. Is
there a way to discern the version number of Postgres from the command line?

I'm running under Cygwin on Windows 2000 Professional.

$ Initdb -d
Running with debug mode on.

Initdb variables:
PGDATA=/postgres
datadir=/usr/share/postgresql
PGPATH=/usr/bin
TEMPFILE=/tmp/initdb.1300
MULTIBYTE=SQL_ASCII
MULTIBYTEID=0
POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME=Administrator
POSTGRES_SUPERUSERID=500
TEMPLATE1_BKI=/usr/share/postgresql/template1.bki
GLOBAL_BKI=/usr/share/postgresql/global.bki
TEMPLATE1_DESCR=/usr/share/postgresql/template1.description
GLOBAL_DESCR=/usr/share/postgresql/global.description
POSTGRESQL_CONF_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/postgresql.conf.sample
PG_HBA_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.sample
PG_IDENT_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_ident.conf.sample
This database system will be initialized with username "Administrator".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Creating directory /postgres
Creating directory /postgres/base
Creating directory /postgres/global
Creating directory /postgres/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in /postgres/base/1
Running: /usr/bin/postgres -boot -x1 -C -F -D/postgres -d template1