Re: Build fails for pl/tcl on OpenBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Build fails for pl/tcl on OpenBSD
Date: 2001-05-05 14:25:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com> writes:
> I went to another OpenBSD box of mine that doesn't have tcl installed and
> then downloaded the tcl8.3.2.tar.gz from scriptics.com and did a ...
> It created the same tclConfig.sh (well very similar), but the install
> placed it in /usr/local/lib and the header in /usr/local/include.

Yes, that's the normal pair of locations for tclConfig.sh and tcl.h.

> I still get the error in libpgtcl.h.

Did you rerun PG's configure after installing the changed Tcl stuff?

One possibility is that your compiler may not be set to search
/usr/local/include by default. gcc is customarily configured to do that
(though I think on a very few platforms it doesn't); but vendors' cc
will usually NOT search /usr/local/include unless told to. So if you're
using cc you probably need configure --with-includes=/usr/local/include
or configure won't think Tcl is installed at all.

> It would be interesting to see if on another platform postgresql builds
> correctly if one were to install tcl8 with a non-standard prefix. I have a
> feeling it won't and I will try to verify this tomorrow.

I have in fact done this --- HPUX likes nonstandard prefixes ;-). IIRC,
you must set --with-includes and --with-libraries, and your PATH had
better find the appropriate version of tclsh first. It would appear
from looking at configure that the --with-tclconfig option is fairly
useless, since if you don't set it the correct value is extracted by
asking tclsh. You'd only need to specify it if your Tcl setup is not
internally consistent.