Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-24 20:01:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

phone answering, please forgive style...

--
dim

Le 24 oct. 2009 à 20:10, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> a écrit :
>> $PGDATA/postgresql.conf

I think the multiple files should go in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf.d

> But the only way to solve the problem of
> machine-parsing the config file is to remove the instructions (which
> can only EVER be parsed by human beings) and put them somewhere else.

Not true. The problem we're trying to solve, methinks, is to be able
to provide a kind of SET PERMANENT feature.

The easiest alternative for providing this given current conf file
content style is to offer one file per GUC, where the first non
comment line is supposed to contain the option value.

Now if you first load postresql.conf then files in postresql.conf.d,
you did not change current behavior for $EDITOR people and made it
easy to have SET PERSISTENT + free form comment.

Regards,