QSoC proposal: Rewrite pg_dump and pg_restore

From: Alexandr <askellio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: QSoC proposal: Rewrite pg_dump and pg_restore
Date: 2014-03-19 00:41:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello!
Here is the text of my proposal which I've applied to GSoC.
(and link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s-Q4rzEysPxo-dINsk_eKFJOBoVjNYDrQ-Oh75gtYEM/edit?usp=sharing)
Any suggestions and comments are welcome.
*

PostgreSQL GSoC 2014 proposal

Project name

Rewrite (add) pg_dump and pg_restore utilities as libraries (.so, .dll &
.dylib)

Short description

pg_dump is a utility for backing up a PostgreSQL database. It makes
consistent backups even if the database is being used concurrently.
pg_restore is a utility for restoring a PostgreSQL database from an
archive created by pg_dump in one of the non-plain-text formats. I think
it will be more comforatable to use these tools as libraries.

Name: Alexander Shvidchenko

E-mail: askellio(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:askellio(at)gmail(dot)com>

Location: Rostov-on-Don, Russia (UTC +04.00)

Benefits to the PostgreSQL Community

This feature will expand opportunities to work with backups of
databases. Especially, it’s important for third-party developers. It
will be easier to use the functionality of the tools in applications
when they will be libraries.

Quantifiable results

Static and dynamic libraries with the functionality of pg_dump and
pg_restore tools (.so, .dll and .dylib files)

Project Schedule

until May 31

Make code review and solve architecture questions with help of community

1 June – 30 June

Detailed implementation of libraries.

1 July – 31 July

Finish Implementation of libraires and begin testing.

1 August -15 August

Final refactoring, testing and commit.

Academic experience

I entered the university in 2013. Before entering the university I
finished the college in 2012. My graduate work in the college was the
client-server application. It was a realization of XMPP. The client was
realized in Qt. The client worked with SQLite database and the server
worked with MySQL database.

Why is PostgreSQL?

- I’m intereted in this idea and believe this project would be useful
for the community;

- PostgreSQL is a very respected community. I would be proud to be a
part of it;

- PostgreSQL is one of the best DBMS and I would like to make it better.

Links

1) PostgreSQL 9.3.3 Documentation, pg_dump

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pgdump.html

2) PostgreSQL 9.3.3 Documentation, pg_restore

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pgrestore.html

3) Static library

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_library

4) Dynamic library