Re: Using PQexecQuery in pipeline mode produces unexpected Close messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using PQexecQuery in pipeline mode produces unexpected Close messages
Date: 2022-06-15 18:56:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> So, git archaeology led me to this thread
> https://postgr.es/m/202106072107.d4i55hdscxqj@alvherre.pgsql
> which is why we added that message in the first place.

Um. Good thing you looked. I doubt we want to revert that change now.

> Alternatives:
> - Have the client not complain if it gets CloseComplete in idle state.
> (After all, it's a pretty useless message, since we already do nothing
> with it if we get it in BUSY state.)

ISTM the actual problem here is that we're reverting to IDLE state too
soon. I didn't try to trace down exactly where that's happening, but
I notice that in the non-pipeline case we don't go to IDLE till we've
seen 'Z' (Sync). Something in the pipeline logic must be jumping the
gun on that state transition.