Re: pg_dump additional options for performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date: 2008-02-26 18:02:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> While the pg_dump split train seems to be leaving the station, I feel
> compelled to point out that focus does nothing to help people who are
> bulk-loading data that came from somewhere else.

What are you imagining here ... a plain SQL script containing
database-independent INSERT commands? That's going to suck compared
to COPY no matter what.

If you're imagining that it's at least pg_dump output that came from
someplace else, we can probably speed it up using the ideas being
kicked around here.