Re: Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Fetter, David M" <Fetter(dot)David(at)emeryworld(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems upgrading from v6.4.2 to v7.0.2
Date: 2000-07-25 15:55:29
Lists: pgsql-general

"Fetter, David M" <Fetter(dot)David(at)emeryworld(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I started to look at the
> db.out file and I noticed the pg_shadow variables. When I looked at the
> newly built postgres 7.0.2 the usesysid for postgres was the same as the
> usesysid for sys_request, one of the new accounts I was moving over.

Ah, that explains that. Another corner case that pg_dumpall doesn't
handle :-(.

I think we are planning to eliminate usesysids entirely soon, since they
don't seem to have any real function other than creating the risk of
this sort of problem...

> Oh, but one other question to the group...has anyone experienced any issues
> when importing a database out of and older version and into a newer version?

We try to minimize cross-version portability problems, but there are
always a few. The release notes for 7.0 should give you more info.