Re: allow online change primary_conninfo

From: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow online change primary_conninfo
Date: 2019-04-03 21:27:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

>>  > I think we unfortunately got to mark this as returned with
>>  > feedback. I've not done so, but just switched the entry to waiting on
>>  > author.
>>
>>  Why returned with feedback? Why waiting on author? I didn't receive a
>>  feedback for latest published patch version. What can I do as author?
>>  Patch still applied (thanks cf bot) Obviously too late for pg12, but
>>  why can not be target pg13 and therefore be moved to next CF?
>
> Well, my impression was that the patch didn't yet really address the
> feedback. And thus should have been marked as waiting on author for a
> while.

Not agree. Latest patch version perform walreceiver restart without switch to a different method as discussed. Here is no race condition between startup process and walreceiver because conninfo passed via WalRcvData struct as currently. I miss something important?
Michael Paquier had no possibility to review latest implementation, but did not say this is totally wrong, just asked wait a rather close lookup.

Of cource we can close this cf entry. I would be happy if someone else post proper implementation. And I can rework my implementation again, but I don’t know how the correct implementation should look or why latest implementation is wrong.

regards, Sergei