pg_dumpall reccomendation in release notes

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dumpall reccomendation in release notes
Date: 2014-02-25 23:06:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce, Tom:

Can we change this text in the template release notes?

A dump/restore using
pg_dumpall<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pg-dumpall.html>,
or use of
pg_upgrade<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/pgupgrade.html>, is
required for those wishing to migrate data from any previous release.

Again, here we're recommending pg_dumpall with its many limitations, and
not mentioning pg_dump/pg_restore at all. This has caused several
people to ask me if pg_dump is not supported for upgrading anymore. Fix?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.