Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 8.0.3 and Ipv6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)seznam(dot)cz>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, voss(at)arnet(dot)com(dot)br, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 8.0.3 and Ipv6
Date: 2005-08-22 00:56:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> If you like, you can improve initdb to comment that line out if
>> getaddrinfo chokes on "::1", rather than believing HAVE_IPV6.

> Good idea. Here's a patch for that. Rather than commenting it out I used
> the slightly newer initdb facility to remove it and the associated
> comment line altogether.

Hm, is that really better than just commenting it out? Particularly
on Windows, where we could imagine someone installing a newer version
of the relevant DLL and then wanting to use IPv6. Seems to me that
leaving the line present but commented out is the right thing, because
it documents how things should look for IPv6.