US-ASCII on Mac OS X

From: Perry Smith <pedz(at)easesoftware(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: US-ASCII on Mac OS X
Date: 2004-07-20 15:49:03
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi,

I'm trying to make gnucash work with postgresql on Mac OS X. It is
suppose to work but I'm finding that it has problems at least on the
Mac.

My first problem is the gnucash code calls nl_langinfo(CODESET) to get
the name of the code page. On Mac OS X, this returns "US-ASCII". The
gnucash also has this value hard coded if various compile flags are
set. gnucash then passes this value as the encoding to use when it
creates a database. But my version of Postgresql (7.4.3) does not
know about US-ASCII.

I did a tiny bit of research and "US-ASCII" is mentioned as an alias
in RFC 1345 but I can't figure out what it is an alias for.

I'm wondering how to solve this problem. Should a "usascii" alias be
added to encnames.c? Should gnucash change "US-ASCII" into something
else? Should I try and get Apple to change their code since it is not
really a code page? Should I just remove the "ENCODING ..." phrase
from the command that gnucash creates to create a database under the
logic that postgres will using the encoding specified by the LANG
variable by default anyway (which I'm just guessing is what it does)?

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Perry