Re: COPY FROM WHEN condition

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, Adam Berlin <berlin(dot)ab(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY FROM WHEN condition
Date: 2019-01-21 03:33:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/21/19 3:12 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

>>> Yes, I agree. It's a bit too late for me to hack and push stuff, but I'll
>>> fix that tomorrow.
>>
>> NP. On second thought, the problem is probably smaller than I thought at
>> first, because ExecQual() switches to the econtext's per-tuple memory
>> context. But it's only reset once for each batch, so there's some
>> wastage. At least worth a comment.
>
> I'm tired, but perhaps its actually worse - what's being reset currently
> is the ESTate's per-tuple context:
>
> if (nBufferedTuples == 0)
> {
> /*
> * Reset the per-tuple exprcontext. We can only do this if the
> * tuple buffer is empty. (Calling the context the per-tuple
> * memory context is a bit of a misnomer now.)
> */
> ResetPerTupleExprContext(estate);
> }
>
> but the quals are evaluated in the ExprContext's:
>
> ExecQual(ExprState *state, ExprContext *econtext)
> ret = ExecEvalExprSwitchContext(state, econtext, &isnull);
>

> which is created with:
>
> /* Get an EState's per-output-tuple exprcontext, making it if first use */
> #define GetPerTupleExprContext(estate) \
> ((estate)->es_per_tuple_exprcontext ? \
> (estate)->es_per_tuple_exprcontext : \
> MakePerTupleExprContext(estate))
>
> and creates its own context:
> /*
> * Create working memory for expression evaluation in this context.
> */
> econtext->ecxt_per_tuple_memory =
> AllocSetContextCreate(estate->es_query_cxt,
> "ExprContext",
> ALLOCSET_DEFAULT_SIZES);
>
> so this is currently just never reset.

Actually, no. The ResetPerTupleExprContext boils down to

MemoryContextReset((econtext)->ecxt_per_tuple_memory)

and ExecEvalExprSwitchContext does this

MemoryContextSwitchTo(econtext->ecxt_per_tuple_memory);

So it's resetting the right context, although only on batch boundary.
But now I see 31f38174 does this:

else if (cstate->whereClause != NULL ||
contain_volatile_functions(cstate->whereClause))
{
insertMethod = CIM_SINGLE;
}

so it does not do batching with WHERE. But the condition seems wrong, I
guess it should be && instead of ||. Will investigate in the morning.

> Seems just using ExecQualAndReset() ought to be sufficient?

That may still be the right thing to do.

cheers

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com