Re: DBI-Link, Oracle, database encoding

From: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "David Fetter *EXTERN*" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Hannes Dorbath *EXTERN*" <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DBI-Link, Oracle, database encoding
Date: 2006-10-27 07:05:44
Lists: pgsql-general

David Fetter wrote:
>> I know about Oracle, but have not yet managed to setup DBI-Link.
>
> Try it again :)
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

I will try again when the need arises and/or when I find time :^)

>> NLS_LANG need to be set in the environment of the process using
>> the Oracle client.
>
> Is there some way to set this in the connection string for DBI?

You, the author of DBI-Link, know more about DBI than I do.
My guess: No.
You cannot pass the desired codepage to Oracle client at connect
time.
The only possible way to tell Oracle client what codepage you want
is with the environment variable NLS_LANG. Also, you cannot change
the client codepage during a session. Don't ask me why they
designed it that way.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe