Re: [HACKERS] LDAP auth

From: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LDAP auth
Date: 2006-03-06 08:00:47
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > Was there ever a decision in "the libcurl thread"?
>
> No, not yet.
>
> Personally I'm unconvinced that we should depend on libcurl: if it's
> going to use openldap to do LDAP work, then the only good
> reason to use libcurl rather than openldap directly is if there's some

> clear use-case for libcurl's other features. Which no one had
presented AFAIR. I'm
> still willing to be convinced though.

I'm almost done with implementing a patch that recognizes LDAP URLs in
pg_services.conf and queries an LDAP server for a connection option
string.

Currently I'm coding against libldap, and I intend to submit the patch
that way. If there are loud calls for another library, I think I could
adapt the code without much hassle.

The only other protocol I can think of that might make sense is
HTTP, but I personally have never heard of a web server employed
that way.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe