Re: Postgresql for cygwin - 3rd

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Marco Atzeri <marco(dot)atzeri(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql for cygwin - 3rd
Date: 2014-01-25 18:23:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/24/2014 07:50 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>> Those two issues need to be fixed. And yes, they are regressions from my
>> Cygwin 1.7.7 setup where they pass consistently, just about every day.
>> See
>> <http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=brolga&br=HEAD>
>
> 1.7.7 is 3.5 years hold.
> In the mean time we added 64 bit and moved to gcc-4.8.x

No doubt, but that doesn't mean that extra things failing is OK.

>> You don't get to choose which regression tests you're going to pass and
>> which you're not. Disabling the tests or providing nonsensical results
>> files are unacceptable. This is a Cygwin behavior issue and needs to be
>> fixed.
>
> Distributing broken binary that crashes after standard rebase, it is
> also not acceptable and it is also worst.
> Your farm is not testing this case, I presume.

Quite so. But this is not a case of either/or.

I have now tested the central part of the proposed changes on both old
and new Cygwin installations, and they appear to work.

I'm going to commit them and backpatch back to 9.0, which is where we
currently have buildfarm coverage (and 8.4 will be at EOL in a few
months anyway). That will take care of your rebase issue.

That leaves several issues to be handled:

* LDAP libraries - the way you have proposed surely isn't right. What
we want is something more like this in the Makefile.global.in:
ifeq ($(PORTNAME), cygwin)
libpq_pgport += $(LDAP_LIBS_FE)
endif
* isolation tests fail with an indefinite hang on newer Cygwin
* prepared_xacts test fails with an indefinite hang on newer Cygwin if
run in parallel with other tests
* tsearch tests fail on non-C locale (or at least on en_US.utf8). It
turns out this is actually an old bug, and can be reproduced on my
old Cygwin instance. I wonder if it's caused by faulty locale files?

Really, for a properly working port all these need to be fixed.

> I am available to work on tests regression, but I am not a postgresql
> expert so do not expect all the job from my side.

We can help you some, but very few people in the community run Cygwin,
and my time to spend on it is fairly limited.

cheers

andrew