Re: WIP patch (v2) for updatable security barrier views

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP patch (v2) for updatable security barrier views
Date: 2014-01-21 01:09:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2014/01/13 22:53), Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 11:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>> My first thought was that it should just preprocess any security
>>> barrier quals in subquery_planner() in the same way as other quals are
>>> preprocessed. But thinking about it further, those quals are destined
>>> to become the quals of subqueries in the range table, so we don't
>>> actually want to preprocess them at that stage --- that will happen
>>> later when the new subquery is planned by recursion back into
>>> subquery_planner(). So I think the right answer is to make
>>> adjust_appendrel_attrs() handle recursion into sublink subqueries.
>>
>> TBH, this sounds like doubling down on a wrong design choice. I see
>> no good reason that updatable security views should require any
>> fundamental rearrangements of the order of operations in the planner.
>
> In that case, would you mind offerign a quick sanity check on the
> following alternative idea:
>
> - Add "sourceRelation" to Query. This refers to the RTE that supplies
> tuple projections to feed into ExecModifyTable, with appropriate resjunk
> "ctid" and (if requ'd) "oid" cols present.
>
> - When expanding a target view into a subquery, set "sourceRelation" on
> the outer view to the index of the RTE of the newly expanded subquery.

I have sane opinion. Existing assumption, "resultRelation" is RTE of the
table to be read not only modified, makes the implementation complicated.
If we would have a separate "sourceRelation", it allows to have flexible
form including sub-query with security_barrier on the reader side.

Could you tell me the direction you're inclined right now?
I wonder whether I should take the latest patch submitted on 09-Jan for
a deep code reviewing and testing.

Thanks,

--
OSS Promotion Center / The PG-Strom Project