Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Mel Gorman <mgorman(at)suse(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org" <lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date: 2014-01-14 01:56:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/13/2014 05:48 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-01-13 10:56:00 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Well, it was the lack of sysctl options which takes the 2Q change from
>> "annoyance" to "potential disaster". We can't ever get away from the
>> possibility that the Postgres use-case might be the minority use-case,
>> and we might have to use non-default options. It's when those options
>> aren't present *at all* that we're stuck.
>
> Unless I am missing something the kernel's going further *away* from a
> simple 2q system, not the contrary.

Well, they implemented a 2Q system and deliberately offered no sysctl
variables to modify its behavior. Now they're talking about
implementing an ARC system -- which we know the perils of -- again,
without any configuration variables in case the default behavior doesn't
work for everyone. And it's highly unlikely that an ARC which is
designed for desktop and/or file server users -- let alone mobile users
-- is going to be optimal for PostgreSQL out of the box.

In fact, I'd assert that it's flat-out impossible to engineer an ARC
which will work for multiple different use cases without user-level
configuration.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.