Re: WIP patch (v2) for updatable security barrier views

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP patch (v2) for updatable security barrier views
Date: 2014-01-13 08:12:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/09/2014 11:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> My first thought was that it should just preprocess any security
>> barrier quals in subquery_planner() in the same way as other quals are
>> preprocessed. But thinking about it further, those quals are destined
>> to become the quals of subqueries in the range table, so we don't
>> actually want to preprocess them at that stage --- that will happen
>> later when the new subquery is planned by recursion back into
>> subquery_planner(). So I think the right answer is to make
>> adjust_appendrel_attrs() handle recursion into sublink subqueries.
>
> TBH, this sounds like doubling down on a wrong design choice. I see
> no good reason that updatable security views should require any
> fundamental rearrangements of the order of operations in the planner;
> and I doubt that this is the last bug you'll have if you insist on
> doing that.

I'd be quite happy to do this entirely within the rewriter. I've found
two persistent obstacles to that, and frankly I'm stuck. I'm going to be
reworking the RLS patches on top of Dean's functional patch unless I can
find some way to progress with a rewriter based approach.

The key problems are:

1. preprocess_targetlist in the planner assumes that the resultRelation
is the correct RTE to set as the varno in a new Var it adds to fetch the
row ctid (with label "ctid1") as a resjunk attr for row-marking. This
causes the tlist to have entries pointing to different RTE to the one
being scanned by the eventual seqscan / indexscan, though the underlying
Relation is the same. tlist validation checks don't like that.

There may be other places that need to add tlist entries pointing to the
relation we're reading rows from. They'll also need to be able to deal
with the fact that this no longer the resultRelation.

2. Despite bashing my head against it for ages, I haven't figured out
how to inject references to the base-rel's ctid, oid (if WITH OIDS), and
any tlist entries not specified in the DML statement into the subquery
tree. These are only accessible at the deepest level of rewriting, when
the final view is expanded into a subquery and processed with
rewriteTargetListUD(..). At this point we don't have "breadcrumbs" to
use to walk back up the nested subqueries adding the required tlist entries.

I keep on exploring ideas for this one, and get stuck in a dead end for
every one.

Without a way to move on these, I don't have much hope of adding
updatable security barrier views support using work done in the rewriter.

It seems inevitable that we'll have to add the separate concepts of
"source relation" (tuples to feed into HeapModifyTable for ctid, and for
heap_modify_table after junkfiltering) and "result relation" (target
Relation of heap_modify_table to actually write tuples to, target of row
level locking operations).

There's also going to need to be some kind of breadcrumb chain to allow
us to walk from the inner-most expanded view's RTE_RELATION back up the
expanded view subquery tlists, adding next-inner-most refs to resjunk
"ctid" and (if needed) "oid", injecting defaults, and expanding the
target list with Vars to match non-referenced attributes of the
inner-most RTE_RELATION. So far I haven't come up with a sensible form
for that breadcrumb trail.