Re: How to list current user and database in PSQL

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: peterlen <peteralen(at)earthlink(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to list current user and database in PSQL
Date: 2013-12-31 19:06:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/31/2013 10:55 AM, peterlen wrote:
> After logging into the PSQL Shell Script as a particular user and database, I
> want to display who my current user is and what database I am in as I may
> have forgotten who I am logged in as in order to make sure any commands are
> going to the right place. In Oracle's SQLPlus you can do something like
> "show user" and get feedback on the user you are logged in as. Is there an
> equivalent thing for PSQL to list the user and database?

test=> select current_user;
current_user
--------------
aklaver
(1 row)

test=> select current_database();
current_database
test

Or you can change the psql prompt to display the information:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-psql.html

Search for:

"Prompting"

Details the variables available

"Files"

Explains how to persist this information in a psqlrc file.