Re: trailing comment ghost-timing

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trailing comment ghost-timing
Date: 2013-12-24 01:34:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/24/2013 02:05 AM, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> With \timing on, a trailing comment yields a timing.
>
> # test.sql
> select 1;
>
> /*
> select 2
> */
>
> $ psql -f test.sql
> ?column?
> ----------
> 1
> (1 row)
>
> Time: 0.651 ms
> Time: 0.089 ms
>
> I assume it is timing something about that comment (right?).
>
> Confusing and annoying, IMHO. Is there any chance such trailing ghost-timings can be removed?

This seems to be caused by psql sending the comment to the server to
evaluate as a query. I personally think timing should always output
something for every command sent to the server. To fix this problem I
guess one would have to modify psql_scan() to check if a scanned query
only contains comments and then not send it to the server at all.

The minimal file to reproduce it is:

/**/

--
Andreas Karlsson