Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joseph Kregloh <jkregloh(at)sproutloud(dot)com>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date: 2013-12-23 16:23:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 12/23/2013 06:45 AM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:

> And /usr/local/pgsql was re-initdbed with a 9.0 cluster, because
> previously it was the 9.3 cluster?
>
> And you are sure /usr/local/bin has the 9.3 binaries?
>
> Personally I would say at this point the relationships between
> versions are so confused it would seem best to start from scratch.
>
> My suggestions:
>
> 1) Create a new jail with a copy of the test 9.0 cluster located in
> /usr/local/pgsql.
>
> 2) In that jail install a new 9.3 cluster using the --prefix= switch
> to configure to have it install in a different location in the jail.
>
> 3) Use pg_upgrade.
>

> Before every test I do a ZFS rollback which resets all data on the disk
> back to the last snapshot. So essentially every time it's dealing with a
> new install.

And that has been repeatably proven not to work:) I was suggesting to go
back even further and do not start from the snapshot, but start from a
totally new installation where both instances are in the same jail.

However I will give a try your suggestions that you had in
> your next email (I can see into the future) and report back.

Great, let me know what the answer is:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com