Re: Optimize kernel readahead using buffer access strategy

From: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Optimize kernel readahead using buffer access strategy
Date: 2013-12-18 02:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2013/12/17 21:29), Simon Riggs wrote:
> These are interesting results. Good research.
Thanks!

> They also show that the benefit of this is very specific to the exact
> task being performed. I can't see any future for a setting that
> applies to everything or nothing. We must be more selective.
This patch is still needed some human judgement whether readahead is on or off.
But it might have been already useful for clever users. However, I'd like to
implement adding more the minimum optimization.

> We also need much better benchmark results, clearly laid out, so they
> can be reproduced and discussed.
I think this feature is big benefit for OLTP, and it might useful for BI now.
BI queries are mostly compicated, so we will need to test more in some
situations. Printf debug is very useful for debugging my patch, and it will
accelerate the optimization.

> Please keep working on this.
OK. I do it patiently.

Regards,