Re: dblink performance regression

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink performance regression
Date: 2013-12-10 01:11:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/7/13 7:50 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 12/07/2013 05:41 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
>> >
>> >On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Michael Paquier
>> ><michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>>

>> >Well I think at this first moment we can just create a procedure
>> >inside the dblink contrib and not touch in libpq.
> Maybe a libpq function could be done for 9.4, but not for back branches.

Stupid question... why don't we just pass encoding in with the other connection parameters? That eliminates any ambiguity. The only issue would be if the user also passed that in via connstr... though now that I think about it, we currently silently ignore that parameter, which IMHO is bad. We should either respect if the user passes that in (ie: not do anything at all), or we should throw an error.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net