Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Jacob Champion <champion(dot)p(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, mahendrakar s <mahendrakarforpg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Chudnovsky <achudnovskij(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi" <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com" <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER
Date: 2023-12-05 09:43:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 8 Nov 2023, at 20:00, Jacob Champion <champion(dot)p(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Unfortunately the configure/Makefile build of libpq now seems to be
> pulling in an `exit()` dependency in a way that Meson does not.

I believe this comes from the libcurl and specifically the ntlm_wb support
which is often enabled in system and package manager provided installations.
There isn't really a fix here apart from requiring a libcurl not compiled with
ntlm_wb support, or adding an exception to the exit() check in the Makefile.

Bringing this up with other curl developers to see if it could be fixed we
instead decided to deprecate the whole module as it's quirky and not used much.
This won't help with existing installations but at least it will be deprecated
and removed by the time v17 ships, so gating on a version shipped after its
removal will avoid it.

https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/04540f69cfd4bf16e80e7c190b645f1baf505a84

> (Or maybe Meson isn't checking?) I still need to investigate that
> difference and fix it, so I recommend Meson if you're looking to
> test-drive a build.

There is no corresponding check in the Meson build, which seems like a TODO.

--
Daniel Gustafsson