Re: BETWEEN not matching on timestamp value

From: "James B(dot) Byrne" <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BETWEEN not matching on timestamp value
Date: 2009-06-30 17:51:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, June 30, 2009 13:24, Tom Lane wrote:

> No, it's complaining that the constant is out of range --- it's
> failing long before it's tried to do any actual BETWEEN comparisons.
> Surely you meant something more like 2008-08-09?
>
> regards, tom lane

The column is a timestamp value. I expected any time on any given
date to fall between the start and end of that day so the
hh:mm:ss:hh portion does not leap out at me as something that should
cause a problem. Should it?

The application system times are all UTC.

ALTER TABLE currency_exchange_rates ADD COLUMN effective_from
timestamp without time zone;
ALTER TABLE currency_exchange_rates ALTER COLUMN effective_from SET
STORAGE PLAIN;
ALTER TABLE currency_exchange_rates ALTER COLUMN effective_from SET
NOT NULL;

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB(at)Harte-Lyne(dot)ca