Re: Disk-based hash aggregate's cost model

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disk-based hash aggregate's cost model
Date: 2020-09-01 19:58:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2020-09-01 at 11:19 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Why? I don't think we need to change costing of in-memory HashAgg. My
> assumption was we'd only tweak startup_cost for cases with spilling
> by
> adding something like (cpu_operator_cost * npartitions * ntuples).

The code above (the in-memory case) has a clause:

startup_cost += (cpu_operator_cost * numGroupCols) * input_tuples;

which seems to account only for the hash calculation, because it's
multiplying by the number of grouping columns.

Your calculation would also use cpu_operator_cost, but just for the
lookup. I'm OK with that, but it's a little inconsistent to only count
it for the tuples that spill to disk.

But why multiply by the number of partitions? Wouldn't it be the depth?
A wide fanout will not increase the number of lookups.

> FWIW I suspect some of this difference may be due to logical vs.
> physical I/O. iosnoop only tracks physical I/O sent to the device,
> but
> maybe we do much more logical I/O and it simply does not expire from
> page cache for the sort. It might behave differently for larger data
> set, longer query, ...

That would suggest something like a penalty for HashAgg for being a
worse IO pattern. Or do you have another suggestion?

> I don't know. I certainly understand the desire not to change things
> this late. OTOH I'm worried that we'll end up receiving a lot of poor
> plans post release.

I was reacting mostly to changing the cost of Sort. Do you think
changes to Sort are required or did I misunderstand?

Regards,
Jeff Davis