Re: CLUSTER FREEZE

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CLUSTER FREEZE
Date: 2013-10-25 17:20:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/24/2013 07:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> In any case, it's very far from obvious to me that CLUSTER ought
> to throw away information by default, which is what you're proposing.

The problem here is that you're thinking of the 1/10 of 1% of our users
who have a serious PostgreSQL failure and post something on the lists
for help, for which XID forensic information is useful. As opposed to
the 99.9% of our users for whom deferred freezing is a performance
burden. While I realize that the 0.1% of users are more likely to have
contact with you, personally, it's still bad policy for the project.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.