Autotuning and RAM survey results

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Autotuning and RAM survey results
Date: 2013-10-23 21:54:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Folks,

Of course, this survey is completely unscientific. However, it does
give us more information than we had before:

http://www.postgresql.org/community/survey/89-what-is-the-smallest-amount-of-ram-you-have-on-a-production-postgresql-server/

So going by this, only 20% of our users have any production servers with
RAM less than 1GB. And, I suspect, if we could ask how likely those
instances are to be upgraded, the numbers would erode further.

That supports the argument that it makes sense to release with a default
config which favors users of over 1GB of RAM. We'll want to add an
example doc of recalibrating for small RAM, but I don't think that's
that hard.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.