Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Jacky Leng <lengjianquan(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb?
Date: 2009-03-14 16:25:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 11:47 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... Aside from the implementation costs of making
>> it variable, there is the oft repeated refrain that Postgres has too
>> many configuration knobs already.

> Well that "too many knobs" argument doesn't apply to this scenario etc.
> Anyone who is making use of these need those knobs.

That's nonsense --- on that argument, any variable no matter how obscure
should be exposed as a tunable because there might be somebody somewhere
who could benefit from it. You are ignoring the costs to everybody else
who don't need it, but still have to study a GUC variable definition and
try to figure out whether it needs changing for their usage. Not to
mention the people who set it to a bad value and suffer lost performance
as a result (cf vacuum_cost_delay).

Note that I am not saying "no", I am saying "give us some evidence
*first*". The costs in implementation effort and user confusion are
certain, the benefits are not.