Re: [INTERFACES] iodbc interface on Unix

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] iodbc interface on Unix
Date: 1998-08-18 17:46:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
>> At this point, I can try connecting to a database, but it doesn't seem
>> to get past the first handshaking with Postgres on the wire. I'm
>> guessing that the protocol may have changed for v6.4 and those changes
>> are not in the driver I'm using?

If the iodbc code is running the older ("version 1.0") protocol, it
should still work with the current server. A possible gotcha here
is that if the client code is compiled to send "PG_PROTOCOL_LATEST"
as the version number that it speaks, then you lose when you compile
against the current backend's include files. You've just built a
client that claims to speak 2.0 but doesn't really. The client really
should have its own idea of the protocol version number it uses.
(I just this weekend sent in patches to make libpq do this correctly,
BTW; so iodbc is hardly the only one to make this mistake. If it did.)

The other possibility is that you have an iodbc that was updated to
handle the 2.0 protocol as it stood a month or two ago, but doesn't
have all of the changes quite yet.

Or, maybe the backend's support for 1.0 protocol is broken. We do
need to check that before 6.4 is released. I thought someone had,
however.

regards, tom lane