Re: HELP! Data needed out of pgsql!

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Lester <lesterewing(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, The PandaWare Company <lists(at)pandaware(dot)com>, Ries van Twisk <ries(at)vantwisk(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: HELP! Data needed out of pgsql!
Date: 2009-08-20 16:52:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Lester wrote:

> Just to provide more info, this is what I'm getting when I start up
> the software..
>
> "Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP
> CONNECTIONS ON PORT 7147?
>
> Connection data: host=localhost port=7147 user=mdp password='mdp'
> dbname=mdp

Most likely either Postgres is not running or it is not using port
7147. You can check to see if Postgres is running by starting up
Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities) and looking for the name
"postgres" in the process name column.

If it is not running, you can start it in Terminal assuming you know
the location of the data. See

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/server-start.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.