Re: ODBC & Transactions?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mike Miller" <mmiller(at)pooka(dot)otago(dot)ac(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC & Transactions?
Date: 2001-11-07 17:30:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

"Mike Miller" <mmiller(at)pooka(dot)otago(dot)ac(dot)nz> writes:
> If I execute the SQL statements using ADO in VB6:

> begin work
> update mytable set myfield='changed-data' where myid = 1
> rollback work

> and then I check the database using psql on the server box, myfield =
> 'changed-data'; and the rollback did *not* work.

> In the postgres log appears:
> NOTICE: ROLLBACK: no transaction in progress

This strongly suggests that ODBC is emitting its own "begin" and
"commit" commands around each query that you give. I am not an ODBC
person but I think that this misfeature is called autocommit and that
you can turn it off.

If you want to know what's really going on, try enabling query logging
at the postmaster, then look in the postmaster's log output to see what
queries are really getting sent by ODBC.