Re: Spinlocks, yet again: analysis and proposed patches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com, Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Spinlocks, yet again: analysis and proposed patches
Date: 2005-09-17 05:40:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It'd be real interesting to see comparable numbers from some non-Linux
>> kernels, particularly commercial systems like Solaris.

> Did you see the Solaris results I posted?

Are you speaking of
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-09/msg00715.php
?

That doesn't seem directly relevant to the point, because it's for a
2-CPU machine; so there's no way to run a test case that uses more than
one but less than all the processors. In either the "one" or "all"
cases, performance ought to be pretty stable regardless of whether the
kernel understands about any processor asymmetries that may exist in
the hardware. Not to mention that I don't know of any asymmetries in
a dual SPARC anyway. We really need to test this on comparable
hardware, which I guess means we need Solaris/x86 on something with
hyperthreading or known NUMA asymmetry.