Re: db andtable schemas

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>, jl(at)webgremlins(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: db andtable schemas
Date: 2006-12-11 02:03:52
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Retrieve a list of tables from a given database
> > How to retrieve a list of table properties from a table
> > how retireve what constraints a table has
> > foreign ekeys
> > primary keys
> > I would be really greatful if someone could point me in the direction
>
> Jamie, the type of metadata you're looking for is detailed in the
> Information Schema:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/infoschema-schema.html
> and the PostgreSQL system catalogs:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/catalogs-overview.html
> You can use ordinary SQL queries to pull the inforamation you require from
> these sources.

Another method is to cheat. ;-) I learned this useful trick from another user on the list.

start psql with the the option "-E". Such as:

psql -d postgres -U postgres -E

then from inside psql if you want a list of all of the tables in your current schema you would use
the psql command "\dt". Because the "-E" option was used in calling psql, the actual sql query is
echoed to the screen for you to see. This works for any of the psql commands that issue queries
in the background.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.