Re: Using POPCNT and other advanced bit manipulation instructions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk, david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using POPCNT and other advanced bit manipulation instructions
Date: 2019-02-15 16:36:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here's a final version that I intend to push shortly, to have time
> before EOB today to handle any fallout.

I think this is likely to result in a lot of complaints about
rightmost_one_pos[] being unreferenced, in non-HAVE__BUILTIN_CTZ
builds. Probably that has to be an extern rather than static
in the header. leftmost_one_pos[] likewise.

I might have a go at improving the configure tests later ---
I still don't like that they're compile-time-optimizable.
But that can wait.