PostgreSQL ODBC and INSERT INTO with multi-row binding.

From: Eric Hill <Eric(dot)Hill(at)jmp(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL ODBC and INSERT INTO with multi-row binding.
Date: 2016-04-19 14:44:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hey,

We have a feature in our product that saves data to database tables via ODBC. Currently our ODBC implementation uses multi-row binding with INSERT INTO/VALUES. Previously, we just did single-row binding. For many databases, the move to multi-row binding improved performance, but for PostgreSQL, it did not. In fact, with PostgreSQL, we are having trouble doing better than just generating full text INSERT INTO/VALUES and sending that SQL through. Does that surprise folks on this list? Is there a secret to getting multi-row binding to be at least as fast, but preferably faster, than just generating full text INSERT INTO/VALUES statements?

I am using version 9.05.02.10 of the ODBC driver.

Thanks,

Eric