Re: Review: extension template

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review: extension template
Date: 2013-07-07 12:55:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/06/2013 10:30 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> I still think that we shouldn't allow creating a template for an
> extension that is already installed, though. Do you have any suggestions
> for a better error message?

Oh, I just realize that pg_extension_{template,control,uptmpl} are not
SHARED catalogs, but you need to install the template per-database and
then need to enable it - per-database *again*. Why is that?

If you want to just upload extensions to a database via libpq, that
should be a single step (maybe rather just CREATE EXTENSION ... AS ...)
If you want "templates", those should be applicable to all databases, no?

Regards

Markus Wanner