Re: column headers all in upper-case letters?

From: "Sammer Reinhard J(dot)" <RSammer(at)mlink(dot)co(dot)at>
To: "'Frank Bax'" <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, "Sammer Reinhard J(dot)" <RSammer(at)mlink(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: column headers all in upper-case letters?
Date: 2002-02-01 10:15:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I don't understand. In your initial message, you asked:
> >I want that a 'select * from test;'
> >returns 'ID' not 'id' as column header.
>
> In my response, I showed by example that if you create a table using:
> create table test ("ID" int);
> then
> select * from test;
> will indeed return 'ID' and not 'id' as the column header.
>
> And yet you appear to remain unsatified? Why? Perhaps we
> need to know why
> is it so important that the column header is returned in
> upper-case? If
> your SQL statements are written completely in upper-case, but without
> double-quotes, they will still work with lower-case column
> and table names.

Good guess.
I'm porting a Java application.
Defined variables for column headers are all upper-case because
that's MsSQL/Oracle behavior.
Java is case-sensitive.
If the column header is returned in upper-case, I do neither rewrite my
SQL class (well, in the end I did that...) nor my SQL statements (which
are btw in XML - so using '"' for quoting is a pain in the a.. too ;)