Re: New regression test time

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New regression test time
Date: 2013-06-29 21:59:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/29/2013 02:14 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> AIUI: They do test feature use and errors that have cropped up in the
> past that we need to beware of. They don't test every bug we've ever
> had, nor do they exercise every piece of code.

If we don't have a test for it, then we can break it in the future and
not know we've broken it until .0 is released. Is that really a
direction we're happy going in?

> Maybe there is a good case for these last two in a different set of tests.

If we had a different set of tests, that would be a valid argument. But
we don't, so it's not. And nobody has offered to write a feature to
split our tests either.

I have to say, I'm really surprised at the level of resistance people on
this list are showing to the idea of increasing test coverage. I thought
that Postgres was all about reliability? For a project as mature as we
are, our test coverage is abysmal, and I think I'm starting to see why.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.