Re: Bugfix and new feature for PGXS

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Bugfix and new feature for PGXS
Date: 2013-06-20 12:51:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/20/13 1:21 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> As you note, the other option is to just refer to extension headers by
> their unqualified name. I'm *really* not a fan of that idea due to the
> obvious clash possibilities with Pg's own headers or system headers,
> especially given that the whole idea of extensions is that they're user
> supplied. Not having any kind of namespacing is worrying.

We already install all PostgreSQL server header files into a separate
directory, so the only clashes you have to worry about are with other
extensions and with the backend. And you have to do that anyway,
because you will have namespace issues for the shared libraries, the
symbols in those libraries, and the extension names.