Re: 8.3 GSS Issues

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.3 GSS Issues
Date: 2007-10-25 19:24:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 25, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 04:51:04PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>> There's no way to specify the gssapi library to use. I have
>>> three on
>>> my main development Sun: MIT, Sun, and Heimdal. I might have more
>>> than one version of one of those three at some times. Of course
>>> there's no way to specify which kerberos 5 library or openssl
>>> library
>>> you want either, so consider this a feature request for future
>>> development.
>
>> Yeah, that's something that can be done for 8.4, certainly not
>> something we
>> can put in now. But I'll be happy to see a patch once we open the
>> tree for
>> 8.4 :-)
>
> Isn't this something you do by specifying include and link search
> paths
> to configure? The above argument could be made for *any* library we
> use, and I surely do not want to put a single-purpose switch for each
> library into configure.

All the other OS packages I've looked at seem to support a per-
support-option specification of the relevant installation to use for
that support. I expect that's a pain to implement, but it's what I
(and presumably other people) expect.

As I said this is a request for the future.

Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu