Proposed TODO: add support for "any" for PL/PythonU and PL/Perl

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Proposed TODO: add support for "any" for PL/PythonU and PL/Perl
Date: 2013-05-14 18:24:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

I'd like to add the following todo items to the TODO list:

PL/Python:
* add support for anyelement and anyarray to PL/Python
* add support for VARIADIC "ANY" to PL/Python

PL/Perl:
* add support for anyelement and anyarray to PL/Perl
* add support for VARIADIC "ANY" to PL/Perl

The reason for this is that both Python and Perl are loosely typed
languages, and deal with variables as polymorphic. Mapping Postgres
polymorphic parameters to functions in these PLs couldn't be more
natural. I know from my part that support for VARIADIC "ANY" in
PL/Python would save me a bunch of shell function writing.

I don't personally intend to hack these out, but they seem like good
things to put on the TODO list as good tasks for new hackers (and maybe
GSOC students) to take on.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.