Re: make libpq documentation navigable between functions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make libpq documentation navigable between functions
Date: 2019-07-22 12:10:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-07-10 09:51, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> One approach for making the currently non-monospaced ones into monospace
>> would be to make the xref targets point to <function> elements
>> but *don't* put xreflabels on those.
>
> I understand that you mean turning function usages:
>
> <function>PQbla</function>
>
> into:
>
> <xref linkend="libpq-fun-pqbla"/>
>
> so that it points to function definitions that would look like:
>
> <function id="libpq-fun-pqbla">PQbla</function>...
>
> (note: "libpq-pqbla" ids are already taken).

What I really meant was that you determine the best link target in each
case. If there already is an id on a <varlistentry>, then use that. If
not, then make an id on something else, most likely the <function> element.

What you have now puts ids on both the <varlistentry> and the
<function>, which seems unnecessary and confusing.

For some weird reason this setup with link targets in both
<varlistentry> and enclosed <function> breaks the PDF build, but if you
change it the way I suggest then those errors go away.

>> This will currently produce a warning Don't know what gentext to create
>> for xref to: "function"
>
> Indeed.
>
>> but we can write a template
>>
>> <xsl:template match="function" mode="xref-to">
>>
>> and then we can control the output format of that.
>
> This step is (well) beyond my current XSLT proficiency, which is null
> beyond knowing that it transforms XML into whatever. Also I'm unsure into
> which of the 11 xsl file the definition should be included and what should
> be written precisely.

See attached patch.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-doc-Add-support-for-xref-to-command-and-function-ele.patch text/plain 928 bytes